IP (Internet Protocol) Address is the unique set of numbers that links your computer with all the activities you engage in online.
It is like an address for return delivery. E.g. without IP address, you can’t have access to any website you may be trying to access.
What you should know about IP address
- Your PC is connected to the internet whenever you go online for any activity. Your request to access a site e.g., Facebook is sent to Facebook, Facebook responds and sends back the response and information you need to your PC through your PC’s IP address.
- Your PC network is configured with a set of networking standards and rules referred to as ‘Protocols.’ One of your PC’s protocol is the Internet protocol which is in charge of attaching an IP address to your PC. Internet protocol is also in charge of addressing, delivering, and channelling your requests to the website and back to your PC.
- Every request you send online is attached with your IP (return address) for a perfect delivery.
- Your IP address changes each time you connect to a different network. The IP address is assigned to your PC by your network provider or the network you’re connected to at home, office, and other public places.
- It can also be used to protect your online privacy. For instance, the usage of VPN can provide you with a different IP address for anonymity.
How to check your IP address
Method 1: Check your IP address on Windows 10
- Press the Windows key + X and select ‘Network connections’ from the options displayed.
- Select the network you’re connected to
- Right-click and select status.
- Click on ‘Details’
- Details of your IP and address will be displayed.
Method 2: Check online
There are a lot of sites where you can check your IP address. These websites not only show you your IP address, but they also show you other information like:
One of such sites where you can check this information is https://whatismyipaddress.com/.
Method 3: Check network details
- Click on your internet icon at the bottom-right of your screen >> Click on >> ‘Network settings’>> click on >> ‘Ethernet’ >> click on ‘Change adapter options’.
- Select the network you’re connected to.
- Right-click and select status
- Click on ‘Details.’
- Details of your IP and address will be displayed on the screen
Did you check your IP address? Let SecureBlitz know by commenting below.