Public Wi-Fi is being cherished by so many individuals. Companies and organizations utilizes this network for the benefits of their users. For instance, public Wi-Fi is available in most hotels, banks, institutions, schools, and many other places.
On the other hand, public Wi-Fi differs in two kinds. We have a secured and unsecured connection. The secured Wi-Fi requires legal steps like a security password/pin. It might also require a store purchase to gain usage permission.
Besides, unsecured Wi-Fi does not go through the above process. Users can automatically access the internet with this connection.
Public Wi-Fi has made it easier for us to access the internet in some close ends. But, it also contains a high risk of exposing sensitive pieces of information that are on our smartphones and PCs.
Dos and Don’ts of Using a Public Wi-Fi
Here are the Dos and Don’ts of using public Wi-Fi. Check them below:
- Ensure you connect to a secured network when you know the security password or pin. In the case of an unsecured network, permission will be granted automatically and you can enjoy using the network.
- Don’t make purchases online with an unsecured network. Shopping online requires some personal credentials to make a purchase. You are likely to expose your bank details to a stranger by using an unsecured network to shop online.
- Make sure you observe your Bluetooth connection. Moreover, Bluetooth can be used by hackers to gain access to one’s device and stealing personal details. You should always ensure to turn off this feature if not in use.
- Disable any form of connectivity that connects automatically. Some smartphones and PCs automatically connect to any hotspot available. This feature ought to be turned off.
- Don’t carry out sensitive activities on your digital devices while using public Wi-Fi. These activities might be accessing your bank app. Even a secured network is highly prohibited.
- Make use of Virtual Private Network (VPN) when using public Wi-Fi. This ensures that your privacy is safe. Data will be encrypted while on public Wi-Fi.
- Don’t abandon your device in a public environment. Ensure that you safely keep them when they are not in use.
Lastly, public Wi-Fi networks are now used by criminal-minded individuals to steal personal information. Most people use encrypted VPN software to ensure their data is protected.
Share your thoughts below.