In this post, we will show you what a VPN is, its features and benefits.
Before we proceed, you need to know what VPN is all about.
What is a VPN?
Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a technology which cloaks a digital device across the internet and enables its users to send/receive data across the internet. In other words, when you are connected to VPN, your connected data is anonymized through the VPN server network thereby securing your online activity across the internet.
In the same vein, VPN applications can be run across several digital devices such as Personal Computer (PC), desktop, smartphones, routers, etc. Regardless, VPN masks your true IP address (identity) and presents its own facilitated identity on the internet thereby giving you access to restricted websites and securing your online privacy.
What are the Features and Benefits of VPN?
VPN usually comes with the following advantages for its users:
- Secure Encryption protocols: Basically, VPN service providers utilize several secure encryption protocols like Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP), Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol/Internet Protocol Security (L2TP/IPsec), Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP), OpenVPN, and more.
- Access to restricted content: You can access censored or geo-restricted websites by using a VPN. For instance, you can access streaming services, online payment gateways, social networking websites, and more by using VPN.
- Online tracking blocking: In simple words – your online activity remains anonymous i.e. you can’t be tracked online by the big brothers.
- Low price: VPNs usually comes at low price. Some quality VPN services are available for as low as $1.99/month; therefore, you get secure protection without paying an exorbitant price.
- IP address protection: By utilizing a VPN service, you can make use of a VPN-provided IP address thereby preventing your IP address from being tracked or identified in the cyberspace by snoopers, Governments or even ISPs.
- Secure communications: Feel free to communicate securely with your contacts without fear of online privacy violation.
- Secure online transactions: Snoopers or hackers will not be able to peek into your online transactions. Hence, your bank details are safe and secure from the prying eyes.
- Protection for connected devices: Several VPN service providers are supported on cross-platforms such as Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Windows Mobile. Also, some VPN are available as web browser extensions; hence you are covered on all connected digital devices.
- Global server coverage: Some VPN services are able to provide server coverage in popular countries across the globe.
- Unblock games, services and apps: You can unblock ISP-blocked apps such as YouTube, Whatsapp, Snapchat, etc. Also, you can play geo-restricted games such as PUBG, Fortnite, Minecraft, and more while reducing pings.
- Wi-Fi Protection: When connected to public Wi-Fi, your online activity remains anonymous depending on the encryption technology being implemented. Stay safe from hackers
- Ad-blocker: Another perk with the web browser extension is that – intrusive or targeted ads are blocked when you access ad-riddled websites.
- Zero Logs Policy: Logs are critical information such as IP address, connection data, dates, times, websites visited etc. which can be used in tracking your online activity. However, some VPN services offer strict zero logs policy which implies that your online connection data cannot be accessible by any third-party even when requested.
- Customer support: With 24/7 support, you can resolve any VPN-related issues on your connected devices. You can reach the support team via email, forum, phone, livechat or even in-app chat (depending on the VPN).
In conclusion, the benefits of VPN cannot be over-emphasized. To an extent, VPN can protect your online identity. However, you may have to check the offers and features of your prospective VPN service provider before making a choice. Moreover, there are over 30 VPN service providers in the cybersecurity industry world.
Have you made use of a VPN before? Share your fears about utilizing a VPN with us by commenting below.
- Difference Between Bitcoin And Bitcoin Cash – Which Is Safer? - November 19, 2020
- 10 Most Common Cyber Threats [MUST READ] - November 18, 2020
- How To Calculate Your Short-Term Vacation Rental Cash Flow - November 17, 2020