Do you use both Windows PC, (7 or 10) and Apple Mac OS X? In this post, we will show you how to access Windows computer from your Mac.
If you do most of your works on a Mac OS X, but sometimes, you'll need some Windows functionality. What do you do then? You simply open your Windows PC and do all the work.
Simple, isn't it? But there's a simpler and smarter way to do that. Instead of opening your Windows computer each time, why don't you simply access your Windows from your Mac?
In this post, you'll learn how to control your Windows 7 or 10 PC from a Mac.
Table of Contents
What Are The Prerequisites?
Of course, to control Windows from Mac OS X, there is some vital information you'll need from your Windows computer. This includes:
- The IP address of the remote computer (the computer you're trying to connect to). Simply type “what is my IP on Google.
- The username and password (for the specified remote computer).
- Also, you have to make sure that the Mac computer has Microsoft RDP client installed. If it's not installed, you can get it for free at the App Store.
How To Access Windows Computer From Mac PC
To access your Windows 7 or 10 on an Apple Mac OS X, you need to Enable Remote Desktop Connection.
This process is slightly different on the different versions of Windows.
For Windows 7
- Press down Win + E on your keyboard to access the Windows File Explorer.
- Select the Computer Properties button.
- Find Remote Settings on the next screen and click on it. A dialog box appears.
- Select “Allow Remote Assistance Connections to this Computer”.
- In the resulting menu, select “Allow Connections Only From Computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (more secure). When you're all set, click OK and you're done.
For Windows 10
- Open Windows Explorer by pressing down Win + E.
- In the next screen, click on System Properties.
- Select Remote Settings and in the resulting dialog box, look for “Allow Remote Assistance Connections to this Computer”, click on it and then on “Allow Remote Connections to this Computer.” When you're done, click OK and you've successfully enabled Remote Desktop Connection on your computer.
READ ALSO: How to migrate from Windows 7 to Windows 10
How To Access Windows 7 Or 10 From Mac OS X
- Launch Microsoft RDP client app on your Apple computer. You should have it by now if you're following this article. Otherwise, get it from App Store
- Click on New, a plus sign at the top left.
- In the resulting box, enter the remote computer details, the IP address, the username and the password of the Windows computer you're trying to connect.
- Once done, you should close the dialog box, select your profile and start accessing your Microsoft Windows computer on your Apple Mac OS X.
That's the simplest way to access your Windows computer from your Mac OS X instead of grabbing your computer each any time.
On the other hand, you can use automated software solutions such as Remote PC Access Software or even cloud backup storage to access your files from any PC whether Windows or MacOS.
Hope you can now access Windows computer from Mac PC? Drop a comment below.