Julian Assange is notable for his WikiLeaks file dump. Today, we will answer the question – is WikiLeaks still active?
This question has remained fresh and resounding in the mind of an average internet user who in recent times has been in touch with incidents surrounding the owner of the controversial website.
Ordinarily, WikiLeaks appears to be functioning with contents from past disclosure still available on the website. But does that make WikiLeaks still active? Depending on your definition of “active”, the answer appears to be a “Yes” or “No” type.
Are Wikipedia And WikiLeaks Connected?
Take note, WikiLeaks and Wikipedia do not belong to the same owner nor do they have any affiliation, they exist as separate entities.
WikiLeaks was founded in 2006 by an Australian computer programmer, and activist, Julian Assange. It is owned by Sunshine Press is an international non-profit organization involved in the publishing of sensitive documents, videos, and new leaks sourced from anonymous contributors.
Is WikiLeaks Legal? How Does WikiLeaks Work?
WikiLeaks became an active force when its domain name was registered in April 2006. Its operations are carried out via a website where classified documents, videos, cables belonging to powerful nations across the world are leaked and published. With its first classified document getting published in December 2006, it has gone ahead to leak about 10 million classified documents in the past 10 years.
The majority of the WikiLeaks file dump involve military operations around the world, high profile corruption cases, collateral murders, major wars, and other prominent incidents. WikiLeaks was founded to act as a conduit for people who prefer to uphold their safety, anonymity, and ultimately live a normal life after contributing classified information to the organization.
READ ALSO: Is TikTok Dangerous Or Safe?
What Did Julian Assange Do To Get In Trouble?
Trouble began when the founder, Julian Assange was accused of rape and to be extradited by the Swedish police in December 2010, an allegation he strongly denied. His lawyer described it as a plot to discredit him and a political plot to silence him by higher “world powers” due to the indicting classified leaks actively published by WikiLeaks since inception.
Julian Assange was granted bail but later jumped bail and fled to the UK where he sought asylum at the Ecuadorian embassy which was granted to him. He became a diplomatic citizen of Ecuador by that act and remained at the embassy for 7 years under diplomatic immunity.
While Julian was plagued with mountains of controversies, Kristinn Hrafnsson, an Icelandic investigative journalist, WikiLeaks spokesperson (2010-2017), and the editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks continued keeping the website active with help from other staff of the organization.
Other charges came up against him from different quarters and countries. The most remarkable was that of the US government which accused him of espionage under the 1917 Espionage Act of the United State and also indicted with an accusation of conspiracy to commit computer intrusion to assist Chelsea Manning to gain access to classified information with the intention to publish them on WikiLeaks.
Notable Leaks From WikiLeaks File Dump
- The US Army Intelligence leak (2010) – Containing hundreds of thousands of documents leaked by Chelsea Manning, a former US Army intelligence analyst. These documents detailed the Afghanistan war and the US military killings of hundreds of civilians which went unreported.
- The British National Party Members leak (2008) – WikiLeaks leaked the names, contact information, and addresses of close to 13,000 members of the British National Party and also the party’s manifesto which proposed the banning of Muslim immigrants from entering the UK.
- Collateral Murder leak (2010) – This was a video leak by Wikipedia containing a footage of American Apache helicopters gunning down unarmed Iraqi civilians and two Reuters journalists. This leak generated uproar across the world which was damaging to the US image.
READ ALSO: How To Be A Badass Front-end Developer
To answer the question – is WikiLeaks still active or not?. It might please you to know that Julian Assange’s Ecuadorian citizenship has been revoked. This gave room to the London metropolitan police to arrest him for jumping bail. Currently, he is in a London jail with the possibility of getting extradited to the US to face the 18 charges leveled against him by the US government.
Nonetheless, WikiLeaks remains visible on the internet, but does that equal being active? The most recent document published on the website dates to November 2019, suggesting that all is not well with WikiLeaks. So, we can only hope for new file dump i.e. leaks from the WikiLeaks website to ascertain its active state.
- Nintendo 64, Wii, and GameCube Source Codes Leak Online
- 8 Best Cybersecurity Practices for Website Owners
- WELEAKINFO.COM has been Seized by the FBI
- Best DNS, IP, and WebRTC Leaks Test Sites
- Browser Compartmentalization: How To Compartmentalize Your Web Browsers
- Why SSL Certificate Is An Essential Cybersecurity Tool? - January 2, 2021
- 7 Business Credit Card Tips For Small Businesses - December 19, 2020
- Tips & Reasons Why You Should Compress Your PDF Through GogoPDF - November 16, 2020