Are you wondering why should startups use a VPN? Read on!
Most people have heard about or used Virtual Private Networks (also referred to as VPNs). These tools enable users to mask their online activities and access unavailable websites/services, among other things. However, not everyone is aware of the benefits of VPNs for startups!
For starters, they allow entrepreneurs to conduct business online with an additional layer of privacy and security. VPNs also help bypass geo-restrictions so that you can connect with potential clients from across the world.
In this article, we’ll take a look at four compelling reasons your startup needs a VPN. Without further ado, let’s dive in!
4 Reasons Why A Startup Needs A VPN
1. Enhanced Security
Today, many startups wrongly believe that security is something only large businesses and corporations need to worry about. That couldn’t be further from the truth! Small businesses and startups are more likely to face cyber-attacks because of their poor security measures.
The reputation of a startup (or any business in general) can suffer severe damage if sensitive information falls into the wrong hands. With a VPN, entrepreneurs can guarantee security during data transfers and communicate privately with employees as well as clients.
Just set up a VPN on your office network, and every device on it will have a secure, encrypted connection. What’s more, a VPN is one of the most cost-effective security solutions – you’re bound to find one for every budget!
2. Limitless Access
Depending on the country you’re based in, you might experience Internet restrictions due to certain laws. This can be problematic as the web provides a wealth of information required for various purposes, such as research and marketing.
If your employees can’t gain access to specific websites, using a VPN will bypass roadblocks and give them unconstrained access to the information they need. In this way, your startup can grow by targeting restricted markets.
This also helps you gather insight into client preferences, market demands, etc. But not all VPNs give you access to every country, so make sure the provider you choose offers plenty of servers in all major locations like India, US, UK, China, and Australia, to name a few.
3. Improved Output
A VPN is capable of improving Internet speed for certain services. Internet Service Providers (ISPs) often throttle (i.e., intentionally slow down) specific types of data – this is particularly true when it comes to large file downloads!
Since your employees will have more bandwidth available to them, they can go about their tasks faster and without interruptions. They’ll also be able to concentrate on other key areas to accelerate your startup’s growth.
4. Flexible Remote Work
With the coronavirus (COVID-19) wreaking havoc worldwide, many startups and businesses have mandated work-from-home in an effort to keep operations going and employees safe from the highly contagious disease.
A VPN will enable your employees to securely access your office network and its resources from anywhere by encrypting all the traffic sent and received. All they’d have to do is fire up the VPN clients from their end!
How To Choose A VPN – Key Factors For Startups To Consider
There are many VPN providers available to choose from, which can make it difficult to find the right one for your needs. To make the decision-making process easier, there are some must-haves you need to look for in a VPN service. These include the following:
- Global Server Network: Ideally, your VPN should offer hundreds (if not thousands) of servers in different countries. The more locations a VPN has to offer, the more options you’ll have for a fast and uninterrupted experience.
- No-Log Certification: This is one of the most important aspects because you wouldn’t want to use a VPN that stores your data. You can avoid this by opting for a provider that has an independently-audited no logs policy.
- 24/7 Support: Good VPNs will give you technical support at any time of the day. Check the official website of the provider you’re considering and see if they provide support via phone, email, and live chat.
- Selection of Secure VPN Protocols: It goes without saying that you’d want to enjoy the best possible security. So, make sure the VPN service uses modern protocols like OpenVPN, WireGuard, L2TP, and IKEv2.
- Anti-Leak Features: There’s no point in using a VPN if it leaks your actual identity to the outside world. The best VPNs will have features like kill switch and DNS, IPv6, & WebRTC leak protection to keep you safe and sound.
If you want your startup to achieve sustainable growth, you need to attract business by maintaining a formidable online presence and this is where a VPN can help you. It will keep your sensitive data safe from certain threats, hide confidential communications from snoopers and prying eyes, give your employees the accessibility they require to be successful, and more.
Yasir Shamim is an up and coming Digital Marketer currently working as an Executive at PureVPN with the aim of increasing their search engine visibility. Digital Marketer by day and Tech Fanatic by night, he enjoys reading up about cybersecurity and technology in general and also loves to share his opinions.
- Most Effective Cybersecurity Strategy For A Small Business [We Asked 45+ Experts]
- VPN Chaining: Can You Use Multiple VPNs at Once?
- 5 Tips To Ensure Your Cybersecurity During Work From Home Era[WFH]
- 7 Things You Need To Know About Cybersecurity And Payday Loans (Infographics) - August 2, 2020
- Why Should Startups Use A VPN? [#4 ANSWERS] - July 26, 2020
- Full Review of GlassWire Firewall Software – Extreme Network Monitoring - June 6, 2020